Thursday, October 7, 2010

Quadratic Effect

This is a true story. It all happened somewhere in yesterday...

    I find myself remembering my first attempt at writing a novel. I didn't originally plan for it to ever be finished or for anybody to ever read it. Well, I was kind of right on one count. I started writing it in grade six and continued to write it until about grade eight or nine. I had a bit of a following with it as well. A bunch of people in my french immersion class were always wanting to read it and that inspired me to write even more. I ended up finishing the first book (on a major cliffhanger and I would never end a book like that now) and starting the next one. I called the series Quadratic Effect- a name that my Step-dad came up with. It was about four sets of twins who could channel the abilities of the four elements: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. No one twin could do anything by themselves. They needed their sibling. At the time, I thought this was a great story idea. It seems a little lame now, though.

    Anyways, after a while, I just stopped writing it. I think I just realized that I'd been writing these stories for years and had yet to edit or change any of it. My content started to change a lot through the years. I moved away from the importance of the bond between the twins and started to go towards a few other subplots. I did, however plan out the entire series to the end. I even once tried to go back and rewrite the first two and a half books that I wrote, but the story was over for me. I would love to use the characters again, though.

    So, for anybody who's reading this and used to read QC as I was writing it I will now reveal to you how all of the characters would turn out. Anyone who hasn't read QC, lucky you. Maybe I'll dig it up sometime and post some bits of it on here for a few laughs. Anyways, here it goes. Hopefully I won't forget any characters.
Colin: Obviously, he was always everyone's favorite. The comic relief. Everyone always loved that he managed to get hurt so often and yet never fatally so. He was unbreakable. Anyone who read the most recent book will remember that he was diagnosed with Cancer (can't remember what kind). Everyone always assumed that he would make it through because he's Colin and Colin can't die. This, unfortunately isn't true. Since about halfway through the first book, I always planned for him to die in the end. He was the only character I couldn't see a future for. In the end, Colin does die with his sister Caitlin by his bedside. He gives Caitlin his half of the power over wind and she becomes the only character able to use her power on her own. The final scene of the final book has been written multiple times and it is always Caitlin spreading Colin's ashes.

Caitlin: We all remember Caitlin as the sensible one who fell for dark and brooding Nelidern and took care of her reckless brother. She is broken apart by her brother's death but does move on to date and later marry Nelidern.

Anula (yes, I made up these names): We remember that she didn't have proper use of her legs, using supports to walk around. Also, she was eventually possessed by the main antagonist (whose name I can't remember). Well, surprise! She was freed from her possession eventually. Yay! That's all I can remember for her history.

Nelidern: He was always full of depression. In the most recent book, he used some of his power over fire to burn his own face, scarring it permanently. This was because he blamed himself for his sister's possession and just couldn't handle it. Eventually, Cailtin does help him make it through and they end up together. Yay!

Connell: Okay, I can't actually remember my plan for him. Pretty sure he ends up awesome though.

Kanella: Okay, this one I had big plans for. She was just starting to date this guy nearing the end of the most recent book. Well, it turns out the dude was super abusive. Her brother, Connell and the rest of the twins get rid of the guy for her, convincing him to stay away from Kanella. Unfortunately for her, they don't get rid of him before she gets pregnant. She's only sixteen at this point but does choose to keep the kid. Everyone helps her raise him.

Bella: Bella was in love with Colin, and her and Caitlin never really got along. That is, until Colin's death. She never moves on, unable to find anyone that she can care for more than Colin. However, her and Caitlin become close friends finally.

Bernand: Well, he was never a super happy guy. He does end up happy in the end with one of the girls. Can't remember which one though.

Gen: Also can't remember what happens to her. Not super important to the story though, I remember.

Well, those are all the main ones. Hope you enjoyed reading about their stories. It was an amazingly lame story but something made people want to read it. I think someday I may use some of the characters again. Probably Colin will show up in something just because I loved his personality so much. I think very fondly about the QC series. It was my first big project and it really helped me decide that I wanted to be a writer someday.
So, my assignment for you today is to do something creative. Write something, draw something. Anything. It doesn't matter, just do it for fun.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment