Friday, October 8, 2010

Boys

This is a true story. It all happened somewhere in yesterday...

    When I was younger, I always seemed to get along better with boys than with girls. This could be because I liked a lot of the same things as the boys, but the same couldn't be said for the girls. I hated the colour pink (I'm still hard-pressed to find a shade that I enjoy) and I didn't really get into wearing makeup until almost grade twelve. Even then, I didn't wear it that much.  I still don't bother with makeup a lot of the time. Takes too much energy to put it on.
   
    Anyways, I recall that one time I was looking through my Mom's old yearbooks and one of the comments was "save some of the boys for us". Of course, I felt the need to ask Mom about this. It wasn't what most people would think it meant. Apparently, my mom used to hang out with all the boys when she was in school as well. Well, I'm one of those weird people who is proud that she's like her Mom. So, I saw this as a sign that I would turn out okay.

    About a year ago, I met a few girls at work and started hanging out with them. This was really weird for me because I usually drift towards guys more. Anyways, we started going out for drinks a lot and I can't help recalling that I was incredibly awkward the first few times I went out with the girls. When you've grown up with boys your whole life, what do you say to a group of girls who know nothing about gaming and actually like mainstream music? Well, I guess I figured out something considering I'm still friends with all of them. It's hard not to be friends with me. I tend to just go up to people and tell them that we're friends now and they don't have a choice in the matter.

    I realize something strange about myself. I've always hung out with groups. I'm not as comfortable in a one-on-one setting. I remember I started off hanging out with a group of boys in elementary school (well, there were two girls besides myself as well). Then, in middle school I was one of the few french immersion students who didn't hang out in the same room as the rest of the Frenchies everyday. I had a few older friends who I always spent time with. There were also the Captives who yes, did have females in it but I only really remained friends with the boys. There was also the Group who existed simultaneously with the Captives. They were a separate group because I didn't see a lot of them as often as I did the Captives. In high school, I was a techie. A sound tech, to be exact. I did belong to the first and only all-female tech crew. Strange for me and the school. But, I still hung out with my boys after school and during lunch. Well, the boys and Kayla- who was always a huge tomboy (until grade 12). I remember standing in line for a vending machine with her in grade eight and a couple of girls started hitting on her, thinking she was a boy. It was hilarious.

So anyways, my assignment today is for you to do something that's out of your comfort zone. Hang out with someone you wouldn't normally spend time with, or see a movie you think isn't the right genre for you. Anything that makes you expand you horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment